View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #82
jss
Netherlands
Re: Kokyu development for Aiki in Aikido

Quote:
Dirk Desmet wrote: View Post
For what I could make up, it's about breathing via your belly and from that point creating a power.
But it's totally not working with me. How can you practice this?
The belly and the breathing is only half the story. See my comment on kokyu ho.

Quote:
For example with kokyu-ho.
You have to unbalance or move your opponent from a static moment, without using your arms or forces or muscles.
Somehow, the others cán create such a power from their belly with a breath-trick.
Ok, so you have power coming from your center/belly. What is supporting this power? Think physics here, Newton's third law of motion. If you push something with your center (through your upper body and arms), that something will be pushing back. So what is keeping the center from being moved?

And about the 'magic', Arthur C. Clarke once said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." This also applies to body technology.

Quote:
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I have large interest in that kokyu technique that I want to read some books about it.
You can't learn it from a book, that's why you can hear people say "It has to be shown." so often. But by all means, read books and threads here on Aikiweb as much as you can. Reading will help you understand what's happening the moment you're shown.

Quote:
Jonathan Olson wrote: View Post
Dirk, your getting in over your head discussing kokyu-ho on a thread dominated by IS/IT discussion.
I wouldn't phrase it like that, but you might not get the answers from the IS/IT crowd you're looking for.
Whether that's a good thing or a bed thing, is your call.

Last edited by jss : 01-30-2010 at 01:09 AM.