View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #1860
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
The problem as I see it is that "Aikido" is so damned big. Simply put, there are people who practice this way as part of their Aikido training. As long as the student can recognize that training paradigms are slices and not the whole pie, they'll (generally) understand there are areas which tend to be lacking in some way. When I was driving up to see what Aikido practice looked like, the student introducing me to it spoke of sparring with friends in Tae Kwon Do. It's this kind of interchange which I think addresses what you're describing.
And that says nothing about the folks who aren't training to be "martially" effective in the first place. In the world of shooting, some folks simply like plinking away at cans. They can study aspects related to hitting a target while not preparing themselves at all for a fight. This is most martial artists, in my understanding.
Yes...it is so damn big, and there is room for lots of variations and interpretations. I am good with that personally. Budd's post covers it well, and so does yours.

I personally only get up in arms when someone states stuff like, striking is not in Aikido, or Aikido is about avoidance, or Aikido is this, not that..blah, blah, blah.

Aikido if your teaching aiki principles and aiki correctly is adaptable to most anything involving kinesiology. However, if at the fundamental level you are not teaching the physical aspects of Aikido, that is, you are teaching techniques or focusing on the spiritual, or philosophical aspects, without a sound aiki/physical structure...well, I don't think you have much there really.

So to me, it doesn't matter if you teach shomen strike or not, it doesn't matter as long as you have a way to teach aiki as it relates to movement.

So, you can adapt your practice to an 80 year old, someone in a wheel chair, or a 20 year old MMAer.

And those that want to...well they can focus on softening and spiritual pursuits through practice.

It is big enough to do all those things.

Just don't say stupid stuff like it can't apply to fighting, competition, or striking, or what not...it can be integrated in piano playing too.