Thread: Starting again
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 07:37 PM   #6
MaylandL
Re: Starting again

Quote:
Zack Delah (GreyRonin) wrote:
... should I stick to my previous dojo and try to attain my Shodan or start all over again at the new dojo? ...

One more thing, just out of curiosity. If I had not stopped training, what do you reckon my rank would be?

Hello Zack

Welcome to Aikiweb.

IMHO, its a big depends on what you wish to achieve from returning to aikido. I would give your old dojo and the new dojo a try for a few sessions. From there make your decision based on what fits best for you and what you want to achieve.

As for what rank you would be if you continued to train, that's not something that can't be easily answered without knowing grading requirements and competency.

Btw Rachel nice story. I had similar background. Started aikido/jujitsu (predominately yoseikan aikido) at University and practiced for about 4 years. Took a 4 year break from training for a number of reasons and returned to Aikido in 1993 to first, an aikijutsu based style, then shifted to aikikai based dojos. Yeah, coming up to my 10th year of continous training...kewl

Now train regularly at two aikikai dojos with a smattering of teaching (about once a month and assisting Sensei). The second dojo that I train at recognised my grading from my first dojo when I officially joined them. I was a visitor to the second dojo for about a year before officially joining.

Happy training all

Mayland