View Single Post
Old 06-04-2002, 06:18 PM   #5
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Jucas
Why is the most common training method the wrist grab? In my experience, as limited as it might be, we seem to train in the common wrist grab more than anything else. I don't know about you, but I feel that starting a technique this way does not prepare me for real application. It just seems that the less common "Suki"(sp?), or under hand punch has much more practical application. Can someone enlighten me?
Two reasons: Because that's how it's always been done so we keep doing it that way; and the art comes out of a world where at one time having the sword drawn was a bad thing if you didn't have a sword. Hence people tried to prevent it and so people figured out ways to deal with the attempt to prevent. Those are kind of the same thing but they are kind of different too.

I do agree that it's easier and safer to work with grabs at first but your ratio of grab to strike work probably won't change much as you get more experienced. And while there are certainly Aikidoist's whom you don't want to get hit by, or grabbed by for that matter, I think an awful lot are lucky if they get a couple of classes per year where the subject is dealt with in any detail from uke's side.

If I may steal from Ecclesiates and Ted Ehara:

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Last edited by Erik : 06-04-2002 at 06:24 PM.