View Single Post
Old 02-08-2001, 01:03 PM   #2
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Better Balance

Quote:
skittlehop wrote:
Hi, I'm working on a project involving how kinesiology works, using aikido as a medium. The whole idea of placing someone off balance, so that they are no longer centered, etc, etc. (The kinesiology I'm talking about btw, is the scientific study of human motion, and not the alternative healing practice.) Anyway, any info that applies to what I'm doing would be very much appreciated.

Thanks much,
Ed
The idea of someone being centered, or keeping mind & body coordination appears to be a subjective one. While someone who is a beginner can easily lose their mind & body coordination after being put in an awkward, physical position, someone who is advanced can keep their balance in the same or worse, position.

You not only see this in Aikido, but also really good Tai Chi players have this ability. I also recall reading about Judo players who were deliberately disoriented for an experiment. They were able to retain their balance better than people who didn't practice Judo.

From the description of your kinesiology project, it sounds very similar to, if not the same as, ki testing. See: http://www.aikiweb.com/spiritual/reed2.html

Maybe this ability to keep your balance, also helps you to lead a more balanced life

[Edited by tedehara on February 10, 2001 at 07:10pm]

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You