View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #28
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Demonstrating aiki, demontrating aikido.Same thing ?

Quote:
Jason Rudolph wrote: View Post
I am also a student under Saotome sensei in ASU and based on my experiences with sensei and others whom I know and train with, your description of his teaching does not reflect at least what I have seen and heard from him at seminars as well as private teaching at the shrine. I have not noticed any substantial changes in his teachings over the past few years. I have seen him teaching waza with committed attacks from Uke and drawing upon techniques that depend utilizing the momentum from Uke's attack. While it is certainly accurate from my experience with him that he teaches other things that resemble exercises or slow motion technique.

However, when he does so I do not believe he is teaching what you refer to as "aiki" (the definition of aiki being internal strength). It is certainly possible for one to read into these exercises and see something else though. However, over the years Sensei has explained what most of them are for so there would be no need to guess what they mean. Typically, they address blending, being flexible and being willing to change. An example would be a static ikkyo that connects to the shoulder or the blending with very small amount of energy. Also, you mention the push tests from Ki Society as an example of people doing what you are defining as "aiki" training for the aiki body, but it is my understanding that Ki Society under Tohei believe their grounding ability results from the projection of Ki not IS. Not true?

Finally, sensei may do a few things that are about connecting in a way that you are defining as "aiki" but those are by far a minority of what he demonstrates in my experience and certainly IMO doesn't constitute a paradigm shift in his teaching. The majority of what Saotome sensei is describing in my experience is blending with Uke's energy to get kuzushi, to discombobulate.

"Aikido techniques depends on blending with the force of the attack. It is that force which determines the movement....." Page 180 Aikido and the Harmony of Nature

Again, its just my observation and the experience of those whom I train or interact with who train with Sensei too.

Train Hard,
Jason
I think some other posts have provided some clarification already, but I'll and in my comments.

First, I think Saotome Sensei is a genius. I am not saying he only teaches one type of seminar, or that he limits what he shows during his seminars. I am describing the experiences I have seen and your mileage may vary.

Second, I also contend that sensei believes everything he does is aiki. I think he has changed his teaching to try different avenues of sharing what he knows. I would be more concerned if sensei showed the same technique he taught 30 years ago. I think this is the difference between walking on a path and resting at a point on the path. In my case, I want to be on Sensei's heels - not the point he was at 30 years ago.

Third, I do not want to confuse anyone. I did not refer to stylized aikido as an example of push test demonstration, I referred to individuals. I am not of the mind that any style of aikido has replicated a solid curriculum of training internals. While already mentioned, I would also clarify that internal power is not aiki, simple a pre-requisite to aiki.

I used sensei because I believe he is a great example of a shihan embracing not just a curriculum, but the transmission of aiki. I think he is trying to pound into our heads aiki is not twisting a wrist or running at your partner so they can throw you.

Jon Reading