View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: What is Aikido to you?

I first knew about Aikido when I was a kid reading some books about martial arts of the world. Prior to that I was into Kung Fu and Silat because of its exposure to my part of the world. This is something like 26 years ago. After reading the book, I had a genuine interest in learning it but it was soon forgotten because it was an art that no one knew about in Malaysia at that point in time (in general I mean).

So after a few years kicking about in ITF, I was then introduced to Steven Seagals kick ass movies... although underage at that time, we have no compunctions on watching extremely violent movies when martial arts is concerned. So my interest in Aikido peaked again.

I'm glad that my introduction to Aikido 12 years ago was through the gentle school of Shin Shin Toitsu. It really made a difference to me to learn more about the Ki/health and unification aspect of training instead of the more martial applications of the art.

Upon coming back to Malaysia, I was then exposed to the more martial aspects which was a bit of a shocker to me at that point in time. I'm no stranger to more hardcore arts, but it really opened my eyes when I started to meet rougher and rougher aikidokas. Even back in England, I've gone to a couple of BAB seminars and gatherings, and whilst not all schools were Ki aligned, the aikidokas I met were very gentle.

Still, my interest never wavered. I've met countless of Shihans on this side of the world and some senior sensei's who never made Shihan'hood but to all intents and purpose are really masters in themselves. Together they have shown me that Aikido has so many facets, that you can look at it from many different angles and purpose.

So it would seem that it truly is a wonderful art. To have so many different schools of thought attributed to it but all in all with the guiding principle of aiki.

Truth to be told, I've had my moments when I have detested Aikido or interpretations of it. But having met some people who have shown me the wonders of Aiki, I'm glad that I have never let the intention of quitting cross my mind.

Aikido to me now is Aiki-do.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.