View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:58 AM   #10
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido and Self Defense

I'm with Tim here - I would not recommend training solely in aikido as the quickest way of imparting the methods for basic self defense. Most dojos, while they may be martial in intent, are really interested in teaching you aikido.

My suggestions for a quicker "fix" on this would be a combination of boxing (and or full-contact kickboxing) to give you a good base in dealing with strikes (both receiving and giving them) and some form of jujitsu - which would include aikido to my mind.

I don't like most of the self-defense courses I've be exposed to as they're just too short and often rely on one-shot pain compliance techniques which frankly only work if your attacker is a wuss (or you get incredibly lucky).

If your goal is solely self defense in a short space of time, you'll also have to accept the fact that you're going to have to train hard and that you're going to get damaged and hurt to a large degree.

Anyway, good luck and I'd still suggest aikido as (a) I'm biased and (b) it's something that'll last you a lifetime when you move away from the basics.

(OT - no weapons suggestions please, in the UK you get done if your handkerchief is too sharp - yes even canes...)