View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 10:01 PM   #11
markrasmus
Australia
Re: and wing chun doesn't win...

Hi Jan,
I found your comments about throwing wing chun people on the floor very unbelievable. Be honest Now!
I have been involved in Wing Chun most of my life, teaching 18 years. I live in Japan now. I visited one of the best aikido schools in Japan to check it out and perhaps learn something new. Very excited I did a lesson and finally got too touch hands with the master, a fellow in his fifties who feautures in the aikido mags regularly. anyway as soon as I touched, I cut his root and he floated and I was suprised how easily. I straightaway realised that they dont train to fight, they train an art form. I may be wrong. Perhaps because aikido may not have sticking exercises they do not develop a deep listening skill. not sure.
But my overall experience with past aikido teachers is that they are artist, not fighters. I suppose the question is how many aikido guys go full contact regularly?
I have great respect for the art of Aikido and after reading the founders book, I can see he was an enlightened soul.
Best to you,
Mark