View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #92
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Re: hips and shoulders

I thought we were in the middle of a discussion of movement involving the hips and shoulders and the relationship of that kind of movement to movement of, and/or from the center/dantien. There was an attempt to use a video of Endo-sensei to facilitate this discussion. You stated:
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Actually, that is the one of the best ways to get thrown. It is unfortunate to see so many teachers who still move from the hips, cut from the hips, tie their knees to the hip and their feet to their knees....even "internal power teachers" wobbling on their knees and feet, and.....
All of whom are still absolutely convinced....that they move from their center. [snip of implicit self-aggrandizing comments]

[snip of reference to anonymous aikido "authorities"] You could line up a parade of senior Japanese Shihan and one-by-one demonstrate their structural flaws in both movement and how they engage an uke. Moreover, I could get most everyone who has trained and felt ...moving from center, to be able to see it as well. Watching big shot Masters and their own body's reaction to load, and their ukes delayed responses to their movement tells a story of a work in progress, not anything high level as a final model. [snip of another reference to an anonymous authority, this one from internal Chinese arts]

[snip of explicit self-aggrandizing comments]

So far, I have not seen a single person from here, appearing on a video moving from or connecting to anyone..........using their center well at all. [Emphasis supplied] [snip of yet more self-aggrandizing comments] Truth and "real soft power" from center is the way we should all be going. [snip of irrelevant straw man argument] At some point we need to realize that there is an actual truth and way to both train and do this stuff that is testable.
In response to your comment above, which I placed in bold type, I asked you to post a video of an aikidoka which shows a good example of that aikidoka
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
moving from or connecting to anyone..........using their center well at all.
Please explain how my request was not a reasonable response to what you wrote --- and please remember to post a video that responds to my request.

Jim

I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity. Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols