View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 AM   #1339
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
What you're implying is that if you make a statement I'm obligated to prove that it's not so. I.e., suggesting that I'm supposed to prove a negative. That's childish, David. Part of the "big boys forums" I mentioned to Dan.... no one plays those kinds of games in a legitimate discussion.
.......what's that???? What????

Can't hear anything of substance.....some vague buzzing.....noise....sounds like an empty assertion, maybe.....sounds like the same repetitive noise I've been hearing from that direction for months, now........

Guess it's nothing.

Quote:
David I made a caveat indicating that sometimes child will do things like that. But that's not the essence of the way they move.
And sometimes lightning strikes in nature. But that's not the essence of weather. We discovered electricity in nature. Aiki is also hidden in plain sight, playing at our feet if we're not too big to notice it.

Quote:
What happens is that yes, sometimes babies move like or in ways that resemble what you're talking about, but the part you glibly leave out is that many/most of their movements are not like that at all and are isolated and inefficient movements.
As most weather is not lightning. But I didn't say that all children's movement is pure aiki. I said aiki can be observed in children's movement and that that is where jujutsu masters, already adept at fighting, joint locks, etc., recognized the tremendous power of acting against the ura of a larger opponent's strength--that there are points where the strength turns to weakness and that children naturally find those directions and positions and exploit them.

Children are the ura of adults.

Quote:
You want to make your case on one type of observed movement while glossing over the fact that that's not what always happens.
I've given examples of many kinds of toddler movement that illustrate aiki, peng jin, fascial connection, coordination, intent--all separate illustrations through specific actions. It's far less important that it doesn't always happen. The important thing is that, if we watch, we will see virtually all children naturally demonstrate some pretty fantastic things. Then, recognizing when and how they do that, we can cultivate those things before they are erased by the overwhelming societal focus on strength and mundane standardized movement.

Quote:
If you're not honest enough to mention something that obvious, why should we prolong the discussion?
Maybe because you know that each time you try to shoot it down, it keeps on flying....and maybe I'm not the one being dishonest.

Best to you.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com