View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #42
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Aikido taiotoshi?

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Just like the OP, I was trying to put a name to the technique. I did not delve into the mechanics of the technique. I chose to use the term "connection" as I am of those who did not believe in "no-touch" aikido - no connection no aikido. Having been accused of using karate in aikido techniques, I tend to avoid the use of atemi in my aikido.

I attempted to split hair for a "nage" and a "otoshi". Do you think I need to?
David,

Every waza I do is "atemi"... it doesn't just mean to 'hit or strike' someone... in it's broader sense, a definition I heard from a menkyo kaiden in one of the oldest koryu in Japan is: "to cause an affect on aite with your body"... this can be accomplished with kiai (whoa, there's another bag of stuff that's very difficult to understand/define that's often misunderstood), with a tsuki (thrust), a grasp, with your whole body/intent with the aite's hands, an exhalation or inhalation, or to put it succinctly, any way you can affect the other person with your whole being .... in other words, it's not just a punch, kick, chop, hit, noogie, etc. I've been affected strongly in very strong randori by: a wink, a smile, a shift of posture, etc. It doesn't have to be fast, hard, muscularly strong... it has to be an unexpected effective connection that causes you to commit to a cycle of recovery that doesn't affect the other side of the connection in a way that takes the sente (the lead)... it can be demonstrated way easier than it can be explained in words or letters on a screen. By the way, "using karate in aikido techniques" is not a bad thing... if it works. Of course that depends on whose idea of "a i k i d o" that you're using as your measure. I may be the wrong person to listen to .... :- )

Oh yeah, and I absolutely don't have any idea of what "I attempted to split hair for a "nage" and a "otoshi" means... If it's an important question of theory, etc. expand the question with more information and I'll try to figure it out and answer. (I like many of your posts, by the way. I haven't posted much for quite awhile... I've been doing this since budo forums began... )

Best regards,

Last edited by Chuck Clark : 12-03-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org