View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #41
Paul D. Smith

United_States
Re: atemi is 90% of Aikido

In my mind, Ledyard Sensei hit it right on the head. In my mind, a koan is nothing until it is filled with the kiai of the one seeking to solve the answer; and the path is resolved by shugyo.

A purported saying of O'Sensei ("Aikido is 99% atemi"), a doka of Tesshu ("Swordsmanship: I am not struck nor is my opponent hit; unobstructed I move in and attain the ultimate"; or, a talk: "The five components of Muto Ryo Strategy: Marvelous, Exquisite, True, Golden-Winged Garuda King, and Solitary Splendor Swords"), a koan of Takuan. They all share, to me, the characteristic of a fiery anvil, to throw oneself on fully to resolve. Now, are they obscurata? Not from what experience I have had with the effort, however humble. So much in this art can be felt and acknowledged with a knowing nod, one to each other; so much makes simply makes sense. Maybe it is precisely because these sayings or notions cannot be put into words that the danger of falling into obscurata is also so real. But the danger does not negate the reality of their direct experience, does it?

Personally, I draw from the notion of Aikido as 99% atemi, many things. Most immediately, if my aikido is not the entirety of my being, brought to a single point, I am dancing.

I appreciated Ledyard Sensei's early comments, and find good value in equating the saying to an Aikido koan, if you will.

Last edited by Paul D. Smith : 10-04-2005 at 11:53 AM.