View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #40
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Steven Seagal seems like a jerk teacher. A bit at least...

Quote:
Jonathan Hay wrote: View Post
I remember watching "Marked for Death" and being appalled at the over-the-top violence Seagal's character applied to the main bad guy. If I remember correctly, Seagal cuts the guy in the crotch with a sword, thumbs out his eyes, breaks his back and then throws him down an elevator shaft onto some massive bolt sticking out of the floor. What's the message in so utterly and savagely destroying another person? Nothing good, I think.
That's what I'm talking about. And I don't want to seem like that's the kind of thing I'm trying to do to Seagal, myself, or to his reputation, but that's what he puts out. I notice that when my little boy gets angry, he does it like me, and that is not good. But I know he's my mirror and that he's putting back what I've put out. I'm not in much of a place to judge other people at all, and I'm generally not qualified to judge even what they do, but sometimes...

In this case, I have to speak against the use of aikido to make money by exploiting the potential for hyper violence. And again, I can't stress enough that aiki involves deep influence of other people's subconscious minds. And to implant these kinds of seriously depraved images into that level of the public consciousness, through such a refined medium as the motion picture is seriously bad karma.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com