View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #87
DH
United_States
Re: "Aiki" in Russian Video Clips

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
In what way? What was your experience of each?
Hi Dan
Both had power only one showed it in a dynamic mobile fashion. Not that WHJ couldn't we just didn't in that venue.
LCD
He was far more open, willing to go at it, and not be concerned with teaching as much as playing /testing. He also taught two of Sagawa’s students and could talk Daito ryu. That...was a stunner. He had me get pushed on by one of his guys and he had his hands all over me to see what I was doing. This went on for a while. Then he pushed on me and pulled. Then "I got the feeling" he decided he could play and unload. Which he did, over and over and over. There were several moments where he tried to trap me and I got out rather easily, and he was trying to unload these shoulder bombs on me, maybe you’d have to know taiji to know what these can deliver by way of power. When I absorbed them, he whacked me repeatedly very fast as a follow up. When I barely bounced, his eyes said it all. He also gave me some serous elbows, then, wham, wham!! At one point he tried to trap me in this odd wrist lock, when I pushed him off and got out of it, We had a moment-eye to eye. Stan asked him to show that technique but he said...the classic Japanese line. “He only does it once!”
Anyway, suffice to say I found his power, speed and mobility to be amazing. In him my respect for taiji was born. And he was 70 at the time. I am telling you that old man could kick ass.
What would have happened if we fought or -I- unloaded. I dunno. I don't care. I was there to learn from an expert not showboat my measely skills.
At the end of that exchange he started showing me some forms, again he had his hands all over me. I asked him some very explicit questions about his opinions of DR and I got them point blank. Good and bad. I then got two very fascinating things he taught two of Sagawa's men about Body work to strengthen an approach to DR that he believed DR was lacking. Again, he had his hands all over me having me do some things. We went back and forth like this for quite a while. We went way over our time limit, and at the end of the exchange through his interpreter he asked me if I would like to learn taiji. He said he had a very good feeling about me and we could share and be friends. The guy was radiating good will. The next thing that happened, I cannot explain clearly in writing. He asked me this question while beaming at me. Then, it was like his student didn't know how to react. He asked him to repeat it or something, then they exchanged some awkward moments and you could tell by inference that LCD more or less just said "Say what I told you!" The interpreter said "Sifu (sp) asked if you would come live with him in China for a while, that he would like to share his Taiji with you. Then the interpreter (which I found out later was a senior student) looked me in the eyes and asked me if I knew just what that meant? What he was really saying. I told him yes I had had this type of question before and I understood the implication.
As we were winding down His students told me they had never seen him do that or share like that with anyone. I was greatly impressed by his power (I really hadn't met any ICMA person that was willing to unload and offer some power), sensitivity, and mobility. I have to say, that more than any MA person I have ever met his spirit, demeanor, confidence and power just filled a room. Were I able to do so I would have gone to China and stayed with him. It is a profound regret to me that I couldn't. I think I would have formed a bond. It is not an exaggeration in any way to say we "hit off-big time." Did I say he had his hands all over me?
I think his students are lucky. I joke about his hands all over me but there were very specific reasons for it.

WHJ
We did allot of taking, discussed some ground work at a guys house with pride on the tube and me and another guy on the floor talking about peng from the knees, about the connection from knee to elbow on the gruund, how to press without popping, and various other things. He was laughing and seemed both surprised and amused. I couldn’t really tell if he was laughing with or at. but he did ask some questions. In private training I kept trying to engage him but all he wanted to do was stick to lessons. After a while he would answer some things, he was surprised when I told him I had never done taiji before. After an hour or so he finally let me get my hands on him to ask some questions. I was pushing on his chest 45deg up and backward and he tried to do the same to me. We tested back and forth but nothing dynamic where he showed power. So there was no play at the level I really wanted to do it at. It was more low key.
I have been told he has been asked from long time students about training this stuff and he insists that all he knows is forms. Do more correct forms
As you have heard me Say Dan, I dunno taiji from baji from Xing-I. I know they look different
I did play with another ICMA group with a grandmaster champion teacher that was less than impressive. I considered their guy both in feel and in movement to be a very good jujutsu guy, no more no less. I can only say if there were power to be had in that room-I didn't see it or feel it.
Again though the real key here is-their students. How is it transmitted. Is the group grwing as a group or not. Can the teacher point out things and actually figure your body out and help raise -you-up. Isn't that the key?

Of course there are men with power. So.....next.
It is more important to know who is surrounded by people with power on the rise, instead of students wandering and trying to figure it out but not showing much.

Last edited by DH : 08-11-2008 at 08:46 AM.