View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 03:00 AM   #125
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines
Re: Love to hear your oppinions on this video.

Quote:
Jason Jordan wrote: View Post
... I read somewhere that O'sensei got pissed at Tohei for attacking a guy I believe a Russian dude in a similar exercise. Apparently the guys challenged the Kobukan first and they told them not to grab at an aikidoka. So the guy just danced around and Tohei moved in on him.
That was from an interview with Chiba Sensei:

Quote:
What about Master Koichi Tohei of the Ki Society?

Yes, Tohei Sensei is very good. He is small but very powerful. I saw him take a challenge from a wrestler once.

Sumotori or Western style?

Western style. Two brothers - Germans I think from Argentina - and they were enormous! They had to bend over to avoid hitting their heads on the gate-post of the Hombu. This was the only time that O'Sensei accepted a challenge for Hombu. These people were travelling the world with a film crew and were challenging different Martial Arts masters. They had been to the Kodokan (Judo HQ), but the Judo men had not been able to handle them. So they challenged the Aikido Hombu. When they arrived I met them and brought them in. Inside the dojo were O'Sensei Kisshomaru Sensei, and Tohei Sensei who was then the Chief Instructor to the Aikido Foundation. O'Sensei nominated Tohei to go first, as he was so strong. So the wrestler crouched in a low posture with his hands out stretched in front of him, and just moved in a circle around Tohei Sensei for a long time. Tohei Sensei was very relaxed and just followed his movement, and eventually cornered him. Just as the wrestler began to move Tohei leapt upon him, threw him to the floor, and bounced his head for him. Tohei Sensei then pinned him down with his hand blade extension, which, as you may have heard, is very powerful. This guy could not move, and his brother declined to try Tohei for himself, so that was that. Apparently at the Kodokan the Judo men advised them not to make a grab for an Aikido Master. That is why he circled Tohei Sensei for so long.

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui