View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #162
graham butt
Re: Aikido vs. Escrima/Kali

QUOTE]Jo staff might be interesting, but I don't think too many aikidoka probably really know how to apply the Jo very well against escrima sticks moving at full speed.[/quote]

I disagree...

basically to say that as long as both practitioners have the same skill level, then the fight could be classed as a draw as they both are using 4 foot weapons (its just that the kali guy is using his in two separate pieces).

when the kali guy strikes yokomen, jo guy would defend, step back and strike, thus opening the distance.

Jo guy strikes yokomen, kali guy blocks with his left stick, steps in and strikes with his right whilst maintaining the contact with the left (thus closing the distance)

To say that one one has an advantage over the other is nonsense. they both in theory can win!

I remember a time working in a nightclub where two people were fighting. One person picked up a bottle and the other guy who was fighting came charging at him and he dropped it. He was the one then becoming scared and unable to follow through his attack.

The guy with the bottle HAD the advantage! He also could have been an untrained fighter, who know. Maybe a trained fighter would have acted differently, ie, didn't fight in the first place.