View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Suru
United_States
Re: Aikido with a back injury

A neighbor and acquaintance I knew awhile ago had looked into Aikido, including speaking with me about it. He has hardcore medical problems with his back, causing significant pain, and takes I suppose a medium dose of a prescription opiate every day. He was feeling enthusiastic about the possibility of training. I did a mae ukemi in the snow and maybe he felt he couldn't do it. Well, I think that's pretty much the status quo for people beginning Aikido. I told him I have met a woman who is moderately high up in the Aikdo ranks, a black belt whom has never done rolls. I told my neighbor that there are probably some things he wouldn't be able to do, but that there are also plenty of things he would be able to do. I haven't seen or heard from him in months, but I hope he has given himself a chance with Aikido. I told him that it might be tough looking at others during certain movements, and thinking, "I wish I could do that." But I said to him that if he is able to get over such thoughts, Aikido might be right for him.

I'm actually getting teary-eyed now, so if he ever reads this, I send him my absolute best.

Drew