View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Re: Ah, the liberal BBC

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
I think in the last couple of months I posted a weblink to a story in the Telegraph which detailed the results of an internal BBC investigation in which they admit that they're biased, Neil. Sort of makes your argument here a bit silly.
Not being your librarian, I (and the rest of the readers here) can only go by what you've currently written. Besides, I'm more than willing to believe that their "confession" has been wrung thru a lot of interpretation by you.

Quote:
I remember a number of discussions at the time Godwin's "law" became trendy... right here on the internet. The unfortunate part about World War II is that at least 50 million people died directly or indirectly from it. I realize those are just statistics to a liberal,
It's statistics to ANYONE, Mike: including YOU. YOU'RE using those deaths to make a political point, just like everyone else. No need attempting to raise yourself above the crowd with this news, cause you aren't.

Quote:
but those are actual human lives that were lost...
as were lives lost in Vietnam, Russian gulags, the West Bank. But most of us don't need to obsessively point to one event in history, as if it's some sort of Copernican Center of the Political Universe, the way you (and many others who trip over Godwin's Rule) do.

Quote:
so Hitler can't be trivialized and ignored,
Putting the context of WW2 (something you seem to HATE, which is putting things in their proper context) in its proper perspective

Does not = trivializing, or ignoring Hitler

Quote:
as much as you'd like the uncomfortable reminder to go away by calling "Godwin's Law".
Nice ad hominem try, Mike: but try making that stick somewhere else. I am not at all discomforted by WW2, Hitler, or anything else. In my youth, I studied WW2, et al, a great deal.

Unlike you, tho: I realize that discussions of WW2 tend to have an emotional weight that distorts comparisons to it, of current political events.

Quote:
The discussion was about gratuitous comments that show a bias. If you want to claim the statement is not biased, please feel free to do so, Neil. Your views are well known. Actually, it's sort of a joke going around the internet at the moment.
between Mike and his monitor, no doubt. The REST of us have better things to do.

Must be a real laugh riot, when you boys get together...

Quote:
It shows that the BBC is so liberal it doesn't recognize when it's flaunting its own biases, despite being on the carpet for being so biased over the last few years.
Does Mike make up these things, or does he just piece them together from Conservative blog-o-ramas?

Only the shadow knows...

Quote:
Honestly... do you think that Brits should be taxed every year to pay for liberally-slanted news? Yes, you do.
Do you think it possible to virtually cram thoughts into my mouth, and play my head like some kind of virtual sock-puppet, spouting out this rehash as if these thoughts were my own??

Sure you can! You just tried!

I think that you like to pretend that you "know it all" about Liberal media bias, based upon your "conclusive findings" (read: castles in the sky, based upon relentless RightWingBlogoNonsense) and your "objective research."

Having convinced yourself, you paradoxically and messianically need to convince others of your "findings" by relentlessly linking every example of "bias" (read, nothing) you find.

OR,

You are really having us all on. You really KNOW that there's no such thing, and it's all a joke on us.

OR,

You're in pay with some sort of FBI/CIA/X-Files-type-program to control ppl's opinions thru forum posts. Ineffective, but so was the attempt to remove Castro's mustache by lacing his cigars with estrogen.

OR, some other reason, I'm not aware. Unlike you, I claim no powers of mindreading.

Quote:
Do you think the Brits should be taxed to pay for conservatively-slanted news? Of course not. So enters the elements of hypocrisy.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Do you think you'll ever make sense? Probably not. But I have hope. So enter the elements of boundless optimism.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 09-11-2007 at 04:16 PM.