View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #35
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: The poll on aikido spirituality

Matthew:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate it.

Quote:
No worries . I mean pretty much any experience that lends itself to one's sense of spirituality. Prayers and Misogi have both seemed spiritually enriching to me...sometimes more than others.
"One's sense of spirituality"? Do you believe that the term "spirituality" is defined by the individual? Is that how it is for you? Do you say to yourself, "I think this is spiritual" and so it is?

How exactly were you "enriched spiritually" by the prayers and misogi? Did you feel an inner expansiveness and good will toward others and yourself? Or maybe you felt more at peace about life?

Quote:
I would say feeling good isn't necessarily the spiritual part of the experience, but certainly it's a part of a spiritual experience...so far as I can tell.
Hmmm...Okay. Have you had spiritual experiences that left you feeling bad? Have you had any of those during Aikido practice?

Quote:
Yes I have. I've come away from training sessions with a heightened spiritual sense. Imagination or no, that was the sense I had. I'm an agnostic though: I don't ultimately know what I experienced, only that I experienced something.
This sounds very interesting! What was this "heightened spiritual sense" like exactly? I've had moments in training where I felt like I was in "the zone." You know, that experience of being completely connected with my attacker on a level that seems to go beyond the physical. Its this comfortable, easy sensation where uke feels like a part of you. It always leaves me smiling - even chuckling - when it happens. Is this sort of what you mean? Or are you thinking of something more esoteric?

Its strange to me how little average Aikidoka actually talk about this stuff. Again, I appreciate your willingness to share your experiences with me.

If anyone else cares to share a spiritual Aikido training experience, by all means, feel free!

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."