View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #31
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: The speed of a technique

Quote:
Philippe Willaume wrote: View Post
Hello
Not that I am that experienced in both aikido and Ringeck fighting method but I definitely agree with you.
For example if you want to strike according to ringecks manual putting the tactical advices, the mistakes the baddy is doing. You end up striking as you are with the aki-ken….
It is as if you sort of need one to understand the other, if you see what I mean

phil

PS as far as I can tell modern foil is coming from small 19th century French small sword, modern sabre from Italian 19th duelling sabre (or possibly polish sabre), Epee being a mix of the two.
The rules and scoring without electric scoring emphasised some aspect of "military fencing and makes some other redundant. Even though the "fleche" remains true to historical fencing "times" ie hand then body then foot or feet.
Genie, my wife, was a champion epee competitor. She told me that with the advent of the electric switch on the tip of the foil and epee the Russians completely redid the art, much to the consternation of the classical fencers like her French Master. Since the object was to depress the switch at the tip in order to score, whole movements were developed that would have had nothing to do with the use of the epee as a weapon. For example, you could put such a wave into the sword that the blade would flex so greatly that the tip would actually hit your head from behind you and the tip would depress and score. Totally removed from martial application as a technique...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com