View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #92
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Non-cooperative tanto-dori (Discussion)

Quote:
Cody Bruce wrote: View Post
Well, I appreciate the insight. I've never tried to do this before. What you are saying then is that instead of trying to evade the attack one should directly enter into it? Goes along the lines of a samurai not fearing death, am I correct? I am offended in no way and sincerely appreciate your comments.
Sort of... Certainly, if you are in avoidance mode and thinking defensively, the guy with the knife has such a distinct advantage that you'd only get out of it by an act of God.

Doing this kind of thing you have to have your mind right. You have to mentally "own" the space he wants to come into to attack you. This is an energetic thing and takes some practice.

You need to put your attention, your mind "inside" his attack. You are aware of the knife but your mental projection is straight to the guys center. Your mind is forward, your body is forward oriented, everything in your being is committed to going in.

Then, play with not letting him determine when he attacks. If you move into his space, he has two choices, either attack or back up. If he has strong intention to attack he will, the moment you start to close with him. If you are the one who decides when that moment is, rather than letting him do it, then there is really no reaction time. If you know when something is going to happen, then you don't react to it, you are causing it, and therefore there is no "reaction" time.

If, however, he backs up, that tells you something about his commitment. Keep going forward and then suddenly accelerate. You have the advantage because you have already caused his mind to retreat. He can still kill you of course because the knife is so inherently dangerous, but if you can back him up, his advantage is a fraction of what it was if you let him attack you and you try to "defend".

Just remember, the guy who is defending isn't winning. The only way to win is to attack. The Japanese phrase for this is "offense and Defense are one".

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com