View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #29
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
William, I think an invitation to your dojo still evades the point. And let me not that I can think of a number of posts of yours where you've bragged on AikiWeb and Aikido Journal about how people visit your dojo and how poor they look in comparison, yada, yada, so the dojo comments you set yourself up for. Other people have noticed that same sort of smuggery in your posted comments (and commented to me about it), so I don't think you should dissemble too much about why you invite people to your dojo.
I will admit that early on I was a bit of a jerk but that was a few years ago. Some here may still be holding on to that... which is thier perogative... but I have decided to mature and move on. I challenge anyone here to present me with any story where someone has visited our Dojo and not been treated with the utmost respect and reverance or in reverse where I have visted them and not respected them...You won't find one negative experiance out there... Not One.. For you to even mention this when you personally have no experiance with me says quite a bit about you.

Quote:
My point is that if you can drop "IMA", like you just did above in your quote, and you can talk about how it is practiced in your very dojo, there's logically nothing wrong with asking you to explain what you mean. The vague phrases "Misogi", "Tenkan", etc., are pretty obviously not to the point of the asked questions.
And my point is that I have explained it as best I can.. There are reams of documentation and personal experiance written here and one only need to look for themselves

Quote:
These things are all the same thing. The evasions and personal attacks when asked direct questions are one of the curious responses I've seen on this forum when someone doesn't really know the subject. That's why discussions on these internal topics get stymied... there's a certain group of people who want to insist that they know, teach, and are familiar with these things, but they too obviously can't factually support their discussion. Take a look at Shaun's post (a couple back from this one) and notice the immediate recourse to personal attack. That's part of the stuff that makes so many of us tired of portions of the Aikido community.
Off course your tone and language have nothing to do with it right? We can throw throw Pathos and Ethos right out the window.
Again you lump me in with everybody else I would bet the house that if this discussion were done 'fact to face" we would reach a better understanding....

Quote:
Incidentally, as a side note about how protective a lot of "sensei's" are about their status and how they'll play the "I know it, too" game even when it's become obvious that they don't really understand the topic.... this is why I tend to be selective about who gets on the QiJin list. The last thing I want to do is to provide ammunition (through what people post on QiJin) to some "sensei" who will simply turn around and use the information to draw students and notice to himself. These issues should be fairly clinical discussions without the constant resorting to esoterica, personal accomplishment, personal attack, and pseudo-spirituality. It's the game-playing that keeps the martial arts bogged down in the trenches.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
I understand your point of view...But I think you should look in the mirror... It won't be me staring back at you. I have offered to make a connection with you here... accept my ignorance... and give you the opportunity to teach and you have chosen to step on me and use me as a soapbox to complain about 'certain portions of the Aikido" community...ect ect ect....

Again...all I know is I have done my best to make a connection with you over the last few months and for the most part you have refused it...

I'll just keep on trying I guess. LOL

Namaste' (Gee do I have to technically explain Namaste too LOL)

William Hazen