View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #290
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Hi Dan,

My apologies then if it looked liked I was countering your position - it was not my intention. I see, as you say, I'm saying only what you already said/we are saying the same thing.

Hi Mike,

I would have to say that Akebono was far from tired-out in the Gracie match. There, he just got beat in my opinion. Perhaps there was some exhaustion in the other video - but a knock out is often just a knock out (perhaps this is Ron's point). True, it's not Akebono's sport, but equally true, BJJ worked in text book fashion there (in the Gracie match). This was my point, that this stuff is not ineffective or inferior in and of itself or because it does not develop or require kokyu - that such tactics have their place along other fighting tactics and skills.

Akebono is interesting here for two reasons in my opinion: 1) He's been trained in drills similar to what Akuzawa was demonstrating in the videos linked thus far; 2) He's one huge person - a person whose mass and weight alone can mimic superior kokyu skills (whether he had them or not). How did Gracie deal with it? He got the Omoplata. But how did he get that? Answer: He led Akebono into his guard. On a smaller opponent, if you are good from your back, you can initiate the guard, even grab your opponent into the guard, etc. However, on someone Akebono's size - no can do. What does Gracie do - how did he set up the guard? He led Akebono into it. In a way, he took him down without taking him down. This is a very important tactic to know and be skilled at - especially when fighting against such mass, strength, weight, and/or kokyu - as I'm sure you know. Aikido too holds this tactic as valuable - and for the same reasons/in the same cases. This tactic is not very reliant on kokyu development and/or the architectural elements of kokyu (e.g. ground paths) - in my opinion. In a way, every kihon waza of today's (mainstream) Aikido arsenal can be done both via things like ground paths and via things like leading. I think one can see this being demonstrated by Osensei in the old tapes - even the one where he's a vital stud at the Asahi Shinbun demonstration. He uses both tactics interchangeably and his selection has to do with how much energy/mass his uke is bringing to the attack. Again, with Ron, I do not think this is countering anything you've said regarding the authenticity and significance of cultivating kokyu skills.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.