Thread: Switching Arts
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
sheasbys
United_States
Switching Arts

Hi everyone,

Politics, ah how I hate getting involved in politics and the petty jockeying for "rank" and deciding who is "in" and who is "out." Seriously? What a childish thing to do. This very phenomenon, however, has led me to this particular place and junction.

A little history

I have a long tradition in Ju Jitsu, although it is not a pure line at all. While growing up in South Africa I trained in a style (it will remain unnamed to protect the innocent) whose roots were from the UK and a great deal of the emphasis was placed on competition. I systematically progressed through the style (I cannot in good conscience call it an art) attaining a fairly high rank only to find out that this is not worth the paper it is written on. Comment from the organization about this is nonexistent and is dubious at best. I now find myself in "No mans land" so to speak where my rank is not accepted by any other group. There is a great deal of disillusionment with the group I have faithfully served for years to the point that I am ready to move disciplines.

The fork in the road

I recently moved back to the USA, permanently, and sought out others in Ju Jitsu circles to see how, if at all, my dilemma could be resolved. One respected group did some research and suggested, rather strongly I might add, that I should distance myself from this group. On consultation with the better known Ju Jitsu organizations, the consensus is that I will have to start over. There are some groups, less known and suspicious at best, who will gladly accept me and give me equivalent rank for a fee - an option that is not even an option. Starting over is the only way to have credibility.

Philosophical junction

So I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to start over, so does it have to be Ju Jitsu? For quite some time now, especially as my kids get older and want to "train" with dad, I have had some philosophical issues with the brutality of the techniques that are taught within Ju Jitsu. That is not to say that they have no merit in certain circumstances yet I have to ask if these are appropriate and right for me and ultimately to those I teach. The reality is that even though my teaching style is one of living at peace with mankind by all means possible, the techniques do not reflect this. Furthermore if any student should encounter an assailant, as unlikely as this may be, they will resort to the techniques they have learnt without conscious effort. The result may be one of too much force used and regrets after the fact.

Throughout my 30+ years of Ju Jitsu training I have had occasion to train from time to time in "Aiki Jutsu" and "Aikido" and I truly liked the spirit of Aikido and it flows with my personal beliefs and ideology.

Heart of my question

I really enjoy reading the comments on this forum and have been reading them for some time now so a big thank you in advance to the advice I am certain to receive. It is a matter of honor for me not to continue to espouse the credentials I have received because they were dubiously given and the organization will not respond to any requests on my part concerning this. I am not hung up on rank although disappointed that what I have received seems fraudulent. So I am resigned to starting over and am OK with it. It is not as big of a jump to move from Ju Jitsu to Aikido as it would be from some other disciplines. My choice is to move to Aikido but there are a few practical questions to resolve and for which I need your help and counsel:

1. I am committed to my current students. Fortunately my senior students understand the current situation and are in agreement with this upcoming change. However, they do not want to move to a new dojo, the closest one is 45 minutes away from our current location, and if possible they would like to train under my guidance. Considering my years in Ju Jitsu what is the likelihood of opening a satellite dojo? I guess that would be up to each sensei but is it even a practice that is done? My guess would be that I would need to spend an amount of one on one training with the sensei that may take me and my small group of practitioner under his/her wing and tutelage.
2. I have read about a few different styles (the ones I am aware of are Aikikai, Aikido Schools of Ueshiba, Yoshinkan, Ki Society). Who should I approach and why?

Closing Remarks

The decision is made now it is all about working out the details which is what I hope to gain from all of you.

Sincerely,
Stephen