Old 01-24-2005, 11:00 PM   #34
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Hi Khaled,

This is the second part of my post...
Quote:
aikido focuses on hands to applying its techniques and ignores the rest of the body, no kicks no punches no jumping"
"
Are you crazy? Doing high kick and jumping around against an aikidoka? Ask you sensei to show technique against kicks. You will be amazed how similar they are with your standard textbook technique.

Quote:
aikido is only good for seminars and demonstrations"
"
Yeah, so is TKD, Karate, Wushu. Isn't breaking boards and bricks also display of showmanship?

Quote:
aikido is too traditional, no body use sword in our world today
Sword in aikido is used as a teaching tool. It is used to teach distance, footwork and posture. You are right, it would be really silly to carry a sword in a fight nowadays. An Uzi would be better or my favourite, a Tommy Gun of the Al Capone days.

Quote:
aikido is a philosophy more than a combat way
Yeah, yeah, so are all those arts that end with Do. One has to start at the physical level and mature towards the philosophical. I must admit, I am still at the physical level of internship.

Quote:
I didn't lose my faith in aikido, but between u and me aren't they have right in some thoughts???
Glad you still have faith in aikido. Tell you dojo mates to chill out, if they think aikido is all of the above, ask them to spar with your seniors for educational purpose.

Quote:
Is aikido useful and effective in real situation and against other martial arts?
Yes, all martial arts are effective. If not; they would not have survive until now. They would have die a natural death.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.