View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #71
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Atemi waza: good or bad for Aikido?

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
Hallo Charles,
I have been checking out Systema with one side effect that it seems to distract me into a place of 'no technique'. It seems to have a very strong allure. Interestingly enough, it reminds me much of my time in college and outside of college; the human tendency to 'get by doing as little as possible'. One downside seems to be that we want to be praised a lot for it. I would be interested in your reflections about this.

In gassho,

Mark
Hi Mark,
I find it fascinating that you would describe the place of no technique as a "distraction"... I would rather put it that for most people technique and the desire to apply it on someone else is the distraction.

One of the things I love best about Systema practice is that afterwards I have much less investment in my Aikido manifesting in a particular way. I am much more able to simply let the technique create itself because I am less attached to a particular form.

Also, you seem to make getting by by doing as little as possible a negative... As someone who trains with Saotome Sensei as you do I find that surprising since it would be hard to find an Aikido guy who does more with less than Sensei. The slightest touch, the smallest movement and you are gone. That seems to be the ultimate in doing as little as possible to get by. I thought that was what we were shooting for...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com