View Single Post
Old 08-16-2000, 03:42 AM   #12
guest1234
gee, the only person who's told me not to bruise their arm is a male, but i had not extended his desire to all men in my dojo, or all men in Aikido. If truely every woman you've ever trained with has told you not to bruise her, then please keep in mind there still may be women who are more interested in the training. Personally, i find some techniques difficult if uke refuses to connect his hand to my wrist (or other required body part).

as for the type of gi, i wear both...the judo gi tends to get more easily pulled off of me than the very nice Bu-jin female gi top---so i'm actually glad for my ukes if i have on a top that will stay put. I can only speak for myself, but here goes: 1) at my first dojo i learned to take a fall from koshi nage without grabbing anything (gi, arm, or any other anantomy ...subsequent ones have added the requirement to grab an arm (perhaps an option in some koshi's ?) or the gi. explain to a senior female your hesitancy/predicament, see what she says. 2) in some of the throws, i cannot grab the gi until i am already in motion (eg, nage does not let go of the hand that needs to grab until i am falling)...in this case i either revert to my first dojo method, or i try to hook the arm or grab the gi (if i think nage is watching to be sure this new white-belt transplant will remember to do so ...one of my taller nages has twice felt me grab for a certain area of hakama instead---i appologise, we laugh, and life goes on. if a male grabs somewhere he wasn't exactly looking for, he appologises, we laugh, and life goes on. that is just me, and i wouldn't expect all women to be the same, just as i don't expect all men to be, try to see us as individuals.