View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #205
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: VoE: AWASE - The Principle of AIKI

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
At some point in your training you decided that the martial art that you practice lacks a certain quality that you believe the Founder possessed. It is then logical to ask yourself if your main teacher
(by main I mean the one that influenced and shaped of your art the most, this kinda extends to a group of "main" teachers if that is your case) possessed that quality. Then you apply the question to your teachers teacher etc... until you reach the Founder. This chain (or, less convincingly, a bunch of chains) is your lineage.

Using D Harden, M Sigman, Aunkai etc... as the source of that quality from outside of your lineage indicates that you believe that that quality is not present in your lineage any-more. It is then reasonable to ask at which transmission step was it lost.
As I said, I've seen the elephant - I've felt and trained with just about all of the major post-war guys at one time or another, including Saito et al.. I'm not talking about my lineage here - or any particular lineage.

It's not about what I can do or can't do at all, in terms of the discussion, although of course that's important to me personally.

Best,

Chris