View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #163
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
There's more to it than that; how you train for "contradiction", etc., has a lot to do with breathing techniques and "jin" forces and conditioning the body. If it was simple, everyone would be doing it. "Shear forces" is enough misleading that I would personally discard it.
I did like this description of yours:

",;... storing power in the spine refers to an antagonistic relationship deliberately developed in the back. This "storing" of power is similar to the tension buildup in your finger just before you flick something away."

I could immediately feel that when I thought of delivering a xingyi punch. It seems it would just be much "smaller" in a tai ji application. And sort of halfway between in bagua's dropping palm strike.

As for asagao, I can see that relationship, especially with the video, but I understood it to refer to the way the hand is held. Of course, if that's priming the whole suit, then it could apply to the whole body.

Anyway, I think using those articles plus some of Rob's stuff (basically, everything on Tim Fong's site), plus the aunkai site, would help immensely to developing a common understanding from which various effective approaches could be discussed with much less friction.

Thanks.

David

Last edited by David Orange : 01-16-2009 at 04:16 PM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com