View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 08:32 AM   #20
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Applying techniques in random situations

Quote:
Matthew Zelic wrote:
I was just wondering, has anyone ever had to use aikido in a random encounter? i mean, ive learnt a few moves in my class and ive seen the much more experienced guys performing them on each other. but in a real fight, how would u remember what move to do in the space of a split second? another thing, when we are training we dont use full force but the uki still follows the move and will fall, when i do it and see it done, it looks like it can easily be resisted. eg. Ushiro-ate. so any feed back would be greatly appreciated
While I have not participated in a "real encounter" so far, did find the option of not fighting in all the situations I have encountered in the last few years and do hope to continue this habit. I would like to give a different perspective to the your question. analysis wise, I find your question contains three different issues:
1) A random encounter in the technical sense, Uke actions are not pre-agreed upon and Tori has to adjust.
2) A real encounter in the psychological / physiological sense, reacting faced with danger.
3) Facing resistance from uke.

Uke resisting a technique:
For Uke to be able to resist your technique, means either you have not done the technique properly or the technique selection is flawed and it does not match the opportunity you have. Both situation occur, and the latter is even more common.
Some pointers on the less obvious things that are worthy of notice:
  • A flawed technique does not only mean a technique that is not executed properly, it often means the technique started without proper Kuzushi. Proper Kuzushi (based on either Tai-Sabaki, Atemi or other manipulation) should position Uke in a place rendering the technique easier for application.
  • Often when practicing Kata (pre-arranged technique practice), Uke behavior changes after he starts to anticipate the next move. The awareness of the chosen technique allows Uke to resist in practice in a way that actually is not realistic. Uke might also make slight changes to his stance and movement that would invalidate the technique and require some variation.
Aside from these topics, one should always remember the technique should enhance Tori power, hence he should not use full force in practice to prevent damage, but that is not true in S.D. this would make resistance much less effective. And one could also use the resistance as a precursor to flow to another technique (which connects to the next issue).

Uke random encounter in the technical sense:
This can be easily practiced. One of the stages of this practice in the style I practice and in some other styles, I know part of the practice procedure is Randori or "free play" where both players may initiate which ever attack they wish.
It is also possible to build other more limited practice procedures (select one attack of two etc.)
Once one is accustomed to practicing this way, technique selection in a "split second" become much easier, and one learns to adjust his response to the situation. As mentioned before, this can also be utilized as a better response to resistance.
A real encounter in the psychological / physiological sense:
Fear and adrenal dump change ones responses significantly. This can also be practiced, but most TMA way of dealing with this issue is slower and less obvious: getting used to adrenal dumps and frightening situations in a very gradual manner.

Amir