View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #15
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: covering your openings

Rob,

Assuming this is a drill...

I'm not sure I understand clearly what you are describing but based upon what I'm getting - here's what I think might be being left out:

To the Irimi and the lock (things both suggested by Ron and others) I would add that would needs to make sure that there is actually a Yin upon which to enter (Yang). Toward this end, one has to not only use the lock to create various angles of cancellation along the homo and cross-lateral sides of uke's body, one must also use the lock (in combination with rest of one's te-sabaki) to sort of move uke out of the way and around oneself (nage). In a way, while nage does enter, uke and nage sort of pass each other via circles that are going outward from each other and in the opposite directions. Uke does not just stand there while nage closes the distance and/or penetrates uke's sphere of influence. There is no Yin to this.

Since nage and uke are sort of passing each other, whatever is not canceled out via any angle of cancellation generated by the lock is nevertheless checked because a line of attack can never be established on target by uke. Nage's goals are twofold: to create angles of cancellation that would address cross-lateral lines (e.g. punches and kicks with the opposite hand/foot) AND to not allow uke's Line of Attack to establish a positive vector on Nage's own Path of Action (i.e. angle of entry). Uke and Nage must pass each other - not just Nage passing Uke. When Nage and Uke pass each other like this, Uke is way too turned out to bring the cross-lateral weapons to bare.

Maybe that is what might be missing...?

david

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.