View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #140
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: The Way of Aiki

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
There are many other ways to express aiki, so if you look at it that way, then Aikido would be only "a way to express aiki."
Or, if it is The Way of Aiki, then any method of expressing aiki would be Aikido. I would be OK with that.

Now for me - if I define The Way of Aiki, it would be 'to control your opponent's energy'. Of course, you need to get your own house in order (structure, coordination, timing, and the means to deliver power etc.), then learn to disrupt your opponent's house etc. Also, calling your opponent uke doesn't help, as uke means receive and I don't want him to receive - I want him to begin to resist - because I want to learn to deal with that... In fact, to turn the nail completely on its head, I would say that in this 'environment, I, as tori, the shite, the doer, become uke. And thus it is that the uke skills we have learned can become very useful. Now, tori uses his 'ukemi' skill to receive the opponent's movement/attack with craft and he 'adjusts' it with sleight of hand to his advantage.

...(sorry if I used - his, which could also = her )