View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #28
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Legacy and the Founder

On one hand, I think Phi couldn't be more right. Generation wars have existed for a long time. Whether your parents were too strict in the 40's, too lenient in the 60's, too excessive in the 80's or too protective in the 90's, we all are guilty of playing the blame game on the generation before us for our woes. Personally, I think it all comes down to the hippies .

On the other hand, you are beginning to see emerging leaders in aikido who are younger; they are evolving the curriculum, and they are learning how to deal with the new challenges facing aikido. How old was Tohei Sensei when he went to Hawaii? Saotome Sensei when he came to America? Yamada, Shioda, Tomiki, Kuriowa? These leaders where not in their demise when they shared their aikido with others. I do not see a pre-requisite that says you need grey hair to be a leader in aikido.

Blame who you will, but I believe the younger generations do not like the older instructional styles and they are not interested in prioritizing their life around aikido. Now, this may not be a bad thing; I think aikido could benefit from some contraction. However, the days of pushups over broken glass while sempai sit on your back are over...for most of us.