View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido or Judo, which is more of a path or"way".

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'm going to pick at the use of the word "way". Just what does that mean, anyway? And can something you do for an hour four times a week be considered a "way"?

(and now we'll get the flood of posts of people talking about how they use aikido to ride the subway and order a burrito and send email...sorry, not buying it, unless you can show me a lot more than people have done heretofore when making such claims)
If you spent eight hours a day in the dojo every day it wouldn't be a way either because you'd never have time to put it into practical use.
I wouldn't say I use Aikido every day, but certainly I'm concious of the fact that the values and ways of thinking imparted by my study of budo are with me 24/7, they're part of my identity or umm, spirit.
I may only physically practice for three or four times a week but all day every day I'm trying to bring myself into line with the budo ideal.

The test for martial arts is how you conduct yourself day to day, do you conduct yourself as a budoka? Or is your mindset still that of an untrained person?

Last edited by Ketsan : 04-27-2009 at 07:32 AM.