View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Post Modern Aikido?

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
I have never planned a lesson in all the years I have been teaching... different paths up the mountain..
Hi All,

I added this line as a bit of a slightly humorous reply to Jorgens response. Unfortunately it has become the off topic subject of the thread. It may well be worthy of discussion and perhaps warrants a thread of its own. I don't really want to enter into the debate here. I respect that others plan their lesson in detail, good for them. Personally, I have taught a very full curriculum as laid down by my federation and managed to get my students through their various gradings often with praise for their individual performance from the grading officers. My lessons are structured around ki development and aikido, I teach the students what they need. I just don't plan before hand, I works for me and those I teach and I am aware that this is not everyone's way of going about things, but back to the topic of the thread......

The reason I brought this thread to life was to highlight the pioneering work being done by a someone who is prepared to follow his own inquiry and forge a new way of practice, that supports this, but still remain true to the stated aims of the founder. I will not be to everyone's taste and some may feel challenged by these methods. I seem to remember Tohei's way of doing things didn't go down too well with everyone, when he started to teach his own particular way.

So as Corky is engaged in this thread, I'm sure he will be happy to face any challenges or questions you may wish to put to him. I know from experience that he and his methods are robust enough to cope.

My personal curiosity took me out of my comfort zone of the safe structured existence in my own federation under one of the best teachers in Europe. Very traditional and correct training. This stood me in good stead when I met many, if not most of the best Aikido teachers on the west coast. I enjoyed meeting and training with them all. None of them however, challenged what I already knew to any great extent. Of course there were variations in training methods and focus, all of which I was able to work with without difficulty. I learnt something from each, which I could add to what I already knew.

What Corky did was to show me the limitations of what I knew (or thought I knew), which is a humbling experience and one I recommend to everyone. If you watch the videos he has posted, you will see me often struggling to make things work. However, the discomfort of learning something new, was well worth it.

So I know this is all part of my own personal story, but I feel that anyone who embodies "budo is love" the way that Corky does, deserves to be listened to.

And as far as I could make out, he didn't pre plan the lessons beforehand

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.