View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #121
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: Can we see that aikido is all over the place in MMA?

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
Ron, your "apple" example is about metaphor, which is not what I'm talking about. Everybody knows that an apple is a fruit and that an "Adam's apple" is a fanciful name for something that is not an apple and has virtually nothing in common with an apple. When the person who started this thread says he sees aikido in MMA fights, he's not being fanciful; he means it. What I'd like to know is, under what definition of the word aikido can it be true that we see aikido in MMA, and how could such a definition function as a definitive name for the martial art practiced by the followers of Ueshiba, Saito, Nishio, Saotome, Homma, Tomiki, Shioda, etc?
Rik Ellis, a British MMA fighter and son of AikiWeb poster Henry Ellis, posted on his blog: "For me, my Aikido is in my mind and my body." If you watch any of Rik's video clips you won't see Aikido expressed in the form that you are used to, yet he would probably tell you that he takes his Aikido into the cage with him, and uses it. Aikido isn't form, it's not techniques. The form and techniques are expressions of the Art of Aikido not the Art itself. What binds the many expressions of Aikido together are the principles.

From the Art of Peace: "The techniques of the Way of Peace change constantly, every encounter is unique, and the appropriate response should emerge naturally. Today's techniques will be different tomorrow.Do not get caught up with the form and appearance of a challenge. The Art of Peace has no form - it is the study of the spirit."

So if you would like to know,

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
...under what definition of the word aikido can it be true that we see aikido in MMA, and how could such a definition function as a definitive name for the martial art practiced by the followers of Ueshiba, Saito, Nishio, Saotome, Homma, Tomiki, Shioda, etc?
why not simply let O Sensei provide it for you? Aikido "is the study of the spirit."

Ron