View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 AM   #73
Timothy WK
United_States
Re: Ellis Amdur's Post on Aikido Journal

Re: "Farm Fit"---I've said this before, but normal muscle is capable of alot on its own. I've worked a number of manual labor jobs (most significantly as a bicycle messenger and loading trucks for UPS), and I can say that after a while you simply stop getting tired. There's a certain mental factor with those jobs, where you realize your body can do more than you think it can. While I was working those jobs, I was always the first man up the stairs and last to tire out, even with people who "worked out".

And that has nothing to do with the type of fascia-related skills Mike and Dan and all talk about. I'm learning to do some of that now, and its certainly different from the body mechanics I used in the past. So I don't automatically assume that "farm fit" has anything to do with internal skills.

And while I don't mean to discredit Tomiki, I have to say it's possible to execute those 2-, 3-, 4-, 5-man throws without internal skills. I've done a two man throw myself, and I've seen someone (who I don't think possesses this type of internal skill) do the larger throws as well. So I wouldn't hold that story, in-and-of-itself, as "proof" of internal skill.

--Timothy Kleinert