View Single Post
Old 07-04-2003, 08:30 AM   #39
Carl Simard
Anon,

Just one question about the "popularity" thing: is there a high turnover of students in this dojo ?

Let me explain. The dojo where in train is located in a college. So, it means that each semester we get a whole bunch of new students. However, most of them, will leave the dojo before then end of the semester. And only a few will stay for more than a year. Thus, the senior students aren't very inclined to socialize with new students that, in all probabilities, will not be there in a few weeks or months.

Just to give my personal experience, I don't even try anymore to remember the names of the new students. I wait a few weeks and then learn the names of the ones remaining...

So, it may certainly takes a few months for a new student to start feeling that he's part of the group. Usually, it happens after their 5th kyu test, when they have shown some commitment and seriousness in their training...

So, maybe it's similar in the "edge" dojo. It just takes time for people to "socially" integrate new members...

Last edited by Carl Simard : 07-04-2003 at 08:33 AM.