View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #80
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Making Kote Gaeshi Work - With Resistance

After watching it again I would love to see what style of Kote Gaeshi you use with resistance both Omote and Ura

In ours there is an Atemi at the pressure point at the back of the jaw followed by "washing down" uke's arm with the knife edge of your hand using a washing the inside of the bowel sword cutting motion... if Uke still has his center then often hitting a second "pressure point" located in the nerve bundle inside the soft part of the elbow will make Uke "float" then simply continue to wash down the arm to the wrist. If when extending Ukes arm he still has his center (aka what you guys might mean by structure??? I'll have to experience it) then floating his elbow with yours twisting Uke's forearm towards your center often does the trick. Making Uke follow his fingers by using his own arm as an extension of your sword. At the point Uke's entire weight gathers in his wrist just tip his wrist over and... Voila! Kote Gaeshi. Also unlike the vid Nage keeps everything connected to his center and does not extend his arms and shoulders away from his center trying to "muscle" the wrist

In your video you seem to be the uke and if at the end point of Kote Gashi where I had your wrist if you still had your center I would have let go. LOL

Thanks again for providing a "baseline" for what you guys are expressing.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 07-09-2008 at 11:15 PM.