View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 03:16 AM   #54
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: YouTube: Kanaya Hirotaka Shihan

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
That would be Ohba (those damm Judo guys again) who commented afterwards the Ueshiba was a little stiff. Ohba acknowledged Ueshiba's mastery afterwards as did at least one of the observers, the latter going a long way to calming Ueshiba down. I really don't think that Ueshiba was trying to show anything other than his skill in the most favorable light and an unpredictable uke certainly doesn't help. I never actually understood from any of the stories whether the type of attack was unplanned or just the level of force but I am sure it was not an expectation of tanking that changed. This was a long time before Ueshiba reached an age where this was expected to be done.

The relationship between uke and tori in the video is far from that situation but I do find may observations a little hypocritical. Condemnation seeing it on one hand and refusing to see it on the other. It is (to paraphrase another poster) not my cup of tea but I do see good demonstration of control through body positioning. Putting your body in a position where uke must overextend or pull up short is an art form in itself and very hard to accomplish.
Answering my own post (bad) but this was posted on a Tomiki aikido study group page https://vimeo.com/97201380 and shows a very interesting demo with a flavor far removed from much of what we see today. This is something we could use a return to - less compliant uke's - techniques that actually look like they are working.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido