View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 22

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I regard the last six columns as two connected sets. Columns 17, 18 and 19 deal with questions raised by Ellis Amdur's book, while Columns 20, 21, and 22 deal with history writing and the historiography of the twentieth century in Japan, especially the years from the Russo-Japanese War to the surrender in 1945. This time span almost precisely covers the period from Morihei Ueshiba's enlistment in the Japanese army in 1905 until his retreat to Iwama in 1942. The historical novels of Shiba Ryotaro are also of importance here, since his popular fiction helped to influence the thinking of ordinary Japanese about this period.
EDIT. Clearly, I cannot count my own columns. Columns 16, 17 and 18 deal with Ellis Amdur's book and let us say that Columns 19 to 26 will be a connected set, the remainder of which will examine other aspects of Morihei Ueshiba's life and activities: religion (once more), the romance of country life, teaching methodology, with the last column, 26 ("The Danger of Words"), asking how much of all this we need to know for the purpose of our own training.

Thanks Niall.

PAG

P A Goldsbury