View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Looking for college clubs/groups?

Quote:
Susan Dalton wrote: View Post
Adam, Just like when choosing a dojo, one needs to observe an instructor and the class before one decides if the club is a good fit, but you can't make assumptions about the quality of aikido teaching just because a person teaches in a college. I have been teaching at my college for 23 years, and I've been doing aikido for 23 years. I love both teaching my subject area and training, as do the other college aikido instructors I know. You are correct about turn over, and most college clubs spend quite a bit of time on basics.
Susan
of course there are outliers, but I feel like my observations are relatively accurate - high turnover rates causing mostly junior level students and a Sensei that has priorities outside the dojo. Now if it's a beginner, I feel like it's an awesome thing. College is meant to expose people to new experiences, but from my point of view I just wanted to identify the possibility of what a college club may or may not be suitable toward. I'm not against them at all and have, in fact, donated money to a college club that was part of the university's Japanese Cultural Club because I believed in what they were doing and want more people to experience other cultures. College clubs aren't a bad thing, just not right for everyone - training wise.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!