Thread: "Martial" Art
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 01:08 PM   #77
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
My point is that there are lots of means of self-defence that are easier and faster than aikido. For instance, you could avoid all human contact, say live in a secret bunker with closed-circuit cameras and motion-sensing automatic weapons. When you start putting "if..then" arguments into the mix, there are always instances where one method of self-defence will never protect you from all harm, i.e...how would you use aikido vs. a nuclear bomb etc... But to say that aikido does not have intrinsic self-defence/martial value is dead wrong. And I even dare say that it has great self defence/martial value. At any rate, when you are attacked, all you can do is enter the fray and rely on your instincts and training. It is useless to think about winning and losing. If it is your karma to lose, then you will; if it is not, then you won't. One may use the argument that there is not much proof to suppose that aikido is a better self-defence MA than others; but how can you gauge that when we strive not to fight or hurt our brothers/sisters. Didn't O-Sensei say something like "You are the ultimate victor when you make your enemy your friend"?

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.