Thread: Aikido attacks.
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #144
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido attacks.

I can see where Graham could have taken Da Costa's clip as a total joke. I did, when I first saw it, and that made me wonder if maybe he was Graham's student.

So Graham's comment that this was "an old student" of his seemed like an actual claim. Clearly, Da Costa was spoofing...but what was he spoofing? An overly "spiritual" kind of teacher who makes very bad videos....?

Well, at least we got an introduction to Danny Da Costa, who seems like a great martial artist and a very good-humored guy. A real fighter.

Anyway, while I was on vacation (looks like a bunch of folks were put on suspension from aikiweb while I was away... ), I noticed Stan Pranin's excellent post on aikidojournal.com, with Ueshiba's statement to "correct ourselves, not others."

And I think that's really the best approach.

Still, I want to remind everyone that Graham made many comments that some of the IS teachers in the discussions were selling "snake oil," etc., without having met them and without apparent understanding of what they were doing. So let's all be conscious of the insults, however passive they may be.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com