View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
Mert Gambito
Re: How does Aikido compare to Aiki-Jujutsu?

Late to this thread, but some clarifications are clearly in order.

Quote:
Richard Stevens wrote: View Post
It might interest you to know that Okyuama wasn't a legitimate Shiatsu practitioner. He never had proper training. However, Irie-Sensei went to school and is a licensed Shiatsu practitioner. Hobbs-Sensei learned Shiatsu through his Kokodo Jujutsu training. I think it is more accurate to say that legitimate Shiatsu training is a part of Kokodo.
Given that Okuyama, and other pioneers of "shiatsu" were concurrently learning and codifying their respective approaches to shiatsu during the early 20th century, the burden of proof for being "legitimate" for those pioneers is obviously different than what it's been since the 1950s, when shiatsu certification began, according to various online sources (Hakkoryu was formalized in 1941, but Okuyama had been teaching an integrated system of jujutsu and shiatsu for some years prior).

The key acid test for being "legitimate", of course, is does it work and have a track record? Several generations of those who have studied and received Hakkoryu Koho Igaku Shiatsu as part of our training know it does, so lets defer to a public testimonial from someone of note outside of the ryu whose credibility is well established among many if not most members of this website (scroll down to the section titled "Unsolicited Endorsement"): http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...ight=Hakko+ryu

And, for what it's worth, formal licensure (and formal massage and/or shiatsu training needed to get licensed) is required in many countries / legal jurisdictions to legitimately practice shiatsu -- Hakkoryu's variant or otherwise -- as a commercial therapist.

Bottom line: in the course of my studies of Hakkoryu jujutsu and shiatsu, including instruction from Yasuhiro Sensei as a Hakko Denshin Ryu / KoKoDo student, I can attest that shiatsu is an integral and effective component of both KoKoDo and mainline Hakkoryu.

Regarding the original poster's conundrum, I wish you all the best in finding satisfaction in your training. If you enjoy the Dentokan curriculum in general, then perhaps take a cue from Mr. Stevens and work with like-minded students on more dynamic applications of the techniques and principles (outside of the dojo, if necessary).