View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #60
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: Atemi waza: good or bad for Aikido?

Quote:
Gregg Block wrote: View Post
I don't mean to upset any one with this reality check. Ive been serously training in the martial arts for almost 20 years, been taking aikido for about a year and I love it. Ive seen a lot of styles and a lot of good martial artists over the years. The truth is , at least as I see it, if you don't know how to strike someone even person a little skilled in combat is going to give you a very difficult time using a technique effectively on them. Now saying this I know there are individuals who are very, very good at aikido and have done it for many many years who may be an exception to this. I do believe however that even these individuals know the value of a good atemi. For the rest of us I believe it is essential because the real world can be vastly different from the confines of the dojo mat. Enough said.
I can appreciate your perspective. I've been in the martial arts for 40 years, and doing Aikido for 25, I have a different experience. I also teach the difference between:

- Learning Aikido
- Practicing "dojo Aikido"
- Teaching Aikido
- Performing/Demonstrating Aikido
- Doing Aikido

as well as the difference between doing Aikido in the dojo, applying it to street self-defense, and using it in the context with another trained fighter or martial artist. These overlap. but there are differences that are important, that ignorance of can get you killed.

I'm not upset by reality checks. That's why I've hung with many different kinds of arts/practitioners over the years. But here's a reality check of a different kind. Work with a good BJJ practitioner, or a good Wing Chun person, or several arts - or a boxer who has been hit a thousand times - and see how far your atemi gets you, or what the ultimate results are.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido