View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Chris Covington

United_States
Re: "Hidden in Plain Sight" - Shinkage ryu menkyo

I find it doubtful that any Yagyu Shinkage-ryu muto-dori got integrated into modern aikido. I just saw a rather interesting embu of Yagyu Shinkage-ryu a few weeks ago and they did some muto-dori. It looks nothing like what I've seen any aikido group do. It looks a lot like the Yagyu kodachi kata. The kamae (kurai in Yagyu?) and taisabaki were completely different than aikido I've seen. If Ueshiba sensei learned the muto-dori of Yagyu Shinkage-ryu I don't think it had much influence on what he did.

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
No, not merely "symbolic."

I have previously noted these functional correspondences and specific references , which we have discussed before relating to the Yagyu muto system as it may have been adapted into parts of aikido. You did not -- then -- give me any credence for noting them -- but perhaps you will revisit those points also when you have a chance..

Ueshiba claimed Shinkage-ryu as part of his influence -- Aikido Journal still holds forth that O Sensei was granted a Yagyu menkyo kaiden by Masakatsu Nakai in 1908 in Sakai City -- who reputedly was proficient in both Shingan and Shinkage. Many sources attribute Ueshiba's menkyo kaiden to him and assert it was Shingan:

Perhaps not -- or perhaps both.

Chris Covington
Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu