Thread: motivation
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 04:51 AM   #4
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: motivation

Quote:
Im a young, female teenager that is injury prone. In the last 6 months I have had so many injurys aikido and not aikido related, not to mention there's a lot of bad and good things going on in my life at the moment, that i havent been able to train much at all.
Hi!

Sounds like you need to slow down a little. If you keep getting injuries, that's your body saying to you that it needs a break. During your teenage years your body structure is growing and changing, which means that nerves and muscles are all developing at different rates, which means that your brain and body have to constantly re-adjust to each other. The good news is that it doesn't last for ever and your will find your mind-body integration and co-ordination skills will improve. For now, be kind to yourself and take a step back, slow down until your brain and body are working together. This applies to everything, not just Aikido

Quote:
Lately I have been finding it hard to just make the effort to go to aikido and once I'm there, to actually do it.
Ah - good old apathy I think you will find that your energy will come back if you do what I suggest above. Also, do you feel better or worse for having done an Aikido class? If you feel better, then drag yourself out of the house and GO! If you feel consistently worse, then it's time to take a break and re-evaluate.

Quote:
I'm struggling with my school work, struggling to stay calm and tolerant of other people, especially my family and friends, And generally I'm going to extremes in my emotions.
That's OK - you are allowed to be a teenager Give yourself some down time where you don't have to be doing anything. Take a 15 minute break in the middle of your school work, then get back to it. Count to 30 when your family and friends are annoying you, then decide what to say. And if you feel like screaming and punching a few pillows, go do that for 5 minutes

We all go through these things, you are not alone.

You take care now,

Ruth