View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #139
Anita Dacanay
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai, Cleveland, Ohio
United_States
Re: Starting an all-women's class

Chris, I understand where you're coming from, but I completely agree with and support Jennifer's ideas.

I am a 43year old Mom, a 5'4" girly girl with no prior m.a. experience before Aikido. I would never have had the nerve to walk into a dojo and hop onto the mat with 6 or 8 guys who towered over me. Way too intimidating. The only way I started Aikido was to join in kids' classes with my son, and only then with lots of playful prodding from his Sensei, whom I trusted.

After a month or two of getting my feet wet with the kids, I began to take beginner's classes. Then I began to take advanced classes. Now I routinely walk into the dojo to train with 6 or 8 guys who tower over me, and I am grateful because I know that if I don't get the technique right, it won't work. I get a lot out of my training.

I'm sorry, but of course there are gender politics involved, as well as physiology. Most women are shorter than most men, and they generally have less upper body strength. Women are still socially conditioned to be more passive/submissive, while men are still conditioned to be more aggressive. Of course these are generalizations, but they are generalizations based on current reality.

I love my dojo brothers dearly, but I do get sick of being the only woman on Monday nights sometimes. Geez, it'd just be nice to have someone to chat with in the dressing room! I think there are a lot of women who could really derive great satisfaction from Aikido, and who could contribute greatly to the art, but they might need a bit more accommodation, encouragement, and nurturing in order to give it a serious go. Offering all women's classes are a great idea toward achieving that end.

Where imbalance exists, it might take some effort directed towards swinging the pendulum in the opposite direction in order to achieve harmony.

My 2 cents as a beginner who might easily have never begun, but who is so glad that she did.

Good luck with your efforts, Jennifer!